Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cake in a Mug - The best thing ever!

"Cake in a Cup" was on of the first recipes I ever blogged. I made it a few times, thought it was great for being so easy to make and basically fat and calorie free...then I forgot about it. The other night I was craving something sweet and I remembered the recipe. It was good, but a little bitter - so I changed the recipe a tad and am now obsessed with my new Chocolate Cake in a Mug recipe. My fiance makes this 2-3 times a day. I just did a google image search to find a pretty picture to go with this recipe. In reality, cake in a mug is not that pretty. I guess you could take the time to make it appealing to the eye - but when it only takes 2 minutes to make and bake....who cares what it looks like! The possibilities are endless with this instant chocolate cake recipe. It's fantastic plain, but you could put a scoop of ice cream on top,whipped cream, fresh fruit, etc to spice it up. There is literally NO FAT in this recipe and the few calories come from what type of sugar you use. The fact that you make the "cake batter" in a coffee mug and then just microwave it makes it the easiest thing to make ever and it's the perfect portion if you are trying to watch what you eat.


Ingredients:

1 Tbsp Pure Cocoa
2 Tbsp Splenda Sugar Blend (if you're not counting calories, use the real deal)
2 Tbsp Self Rising Flour
2 Tbsp 2% Milk (you can use any milk, except for Skim)
1 Tbsp Water

Steps:

Put all of the dry ingredients into a coffee mug and mix well.

Add the milk and water to the dry ingredients and stir together until you have reached the consistency of cake batter. Stir hard and fast and make sure everything is mixed well. If the "batter" seems really thick and dry, just add a little milk until the consistency is a little lighter.

Place the mug in the microwave for 30-45 seconds and you will have a dessert that will love.

It may take you one or two attempts to get the recipe the way you like it. If you want more a more fluffy cake, microwave longer. If you want a combination of fluffy cake and gooey pockets of uncooked batter (which tastes like hot fudge) then you will want to stay around 30-35 seconds. Personally, I like the hot gooey pockets, so I go with less time. Whereas my fiance prefers a drier cake so he zaps it for about 40 seconds.

This is seriously the best recipe ever for when you are craving something sweet. I've been trying to think of things to add into the cake batter to change it up. So far I have added peanut butter and it didn't do much besides make the cake a little more moist and added an aftertaste of peanut butter. The image I posted came from a recipe for Chocolate-Coffee-Kahlua Cake in a Mug. I just read the ingredients and it is NOT healthy and not super simple to make...but it did just give me an idea for how to change up the basic chocolate cake recipe. I'm thinking add some instant coffee and  flavored creamer or Kahlua into the batter then top it off with cool whip/vanilla ice cream and drizzle some caramel over it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If you come up with your own version...please share it with me!

2 comments:

  1. i just made this and it was great!!!!! thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replaced the water with Rum Chat. Yummy

    ReplyDelete